Monday, June 9, 2008

Subway -- Did you know about the Sodium?

When I was diagnosed with "pre-hypertension", I started watching out for sodium in foods.

My first instinct instead of my usual fast food was to grab something I thought was healthy, and should at least be better than say McDonalds.

I got a Subway sub and while eating it was checking out the nutrition info guides they have lying around. Oh my God, the Sodium is through the roof!

A 6-inch turkey breast has 1000 mg of Sodium. If you get the foot long of course, that's 2000.

A large order of McDonald's fries only has 350 mg.

If your goal is a diet and watching calories, you're probably much better off with Subway (although you should still limit your portions). But, be careful if you have high blood pressure - it might not be as healthy as you think.

If you search the web on "subway sodium" you'll find a lot of similar reports.

No comments: