Monday, June 9, 2008

Hiking Gear update

Here's the hiking gear I've bought so far this week. I'm preparing for a Mount Mitchel hike we're going to do as early practice for the eventual Kilimanjaro climb next year:
----------------------------------------------------------
$170 Hiking Boots (Asolo Fsn 95 GTX)
http://www.asolo.com/content.asp?L=3&idMen=432

$150 Backpack (Osprey Stratos 40)
http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/StratosSeries/Stratos40/

$20 Socks (SmartWool heavy)
http://www.theoutdoorsource.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=ST-3153

$85 Wind breaker (Marmot Driclime Wind Shirt)
http://marmot.com/spring_2008/mens/outerwear/wind/original_driclime_windshirt

$30 Swiss Army Knife (Champion Plus edition)
----------------------------------------------------------

I tried to pick up some versatile stuff for future hikes, etc. I really liked the Stratos 24 backpack instead of the Stratos 40, but the 24 just seemed a tad small. The 40 didn't seem that much heavier or cost much more, so I opt'd for it. The Marmot shirt was something to put in my pack in case of temperature changes. I plan on starting out with very thin clothes on with the hot weather we've been having, but have something to stack over it if it gets chilly at high altitude.

I tried on a few different boots at REI (the guy there was extremely helpful), and none of them seemed to fit my feet as well as these Asolo boots. I don't know if it was the quality of the boot, or just that they fit my feet so well, but I fell in love with them. When I tried on the socks with the boots, it was even better. I stumbled on the socks just browsing around, then found it comforting to hear one of the guys there notice I had them while picking out backpacks. He said after trying SmartWool socks, that's the only kind of sock he uses now (even when not hiking).

I can't wait to see how they feel after a full day hike. Isn't shopping fun? No wonder my wife spends so much money. ^_^ Just kidding honey! If you're reading this... I love you!

1 comment:

Ashley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.